- How's working in the field in South Africa, Federico?
Federico Massetti | PhD at Stellenbosch University
- Can snow avalanches be really a cause for soil erosion, Michele?
Michele Freppaz | Professor at the Department of Agricultural, Forest and Food Sciences, University of Torino
- How is the status and future of the World´s Large Rivers, Helmut?
Helmut Habersack | Professor for Hydraulic Engineering and Modelling, at University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
- Mind the gap - getting to 30 x 30 but failing to conserve biodiversity, Marc?
Marc Hockings | Emeritus Professor in the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Queensland
- Close to Nature Forestry: Environmentalist utopia or a future-proofing tool, Thomas?
07.06.2023 | Thomas Waitz | forester, farmer, bee keeper, Member of the European Parliament and Co-Chair of the European Greens
- How do we achieve sustainable development whilst valuing the ecosystem services provided by our environment, Daniel?
Daniel Dalton | Senior Researcher in the UNESCO Chair Team
- 24.05.2023 | Shamiyeh, Michael | UNESCO Chair and professor of the Center for Future Design at the University of Art and Design, Austria
- Is natural disturbance a reason for logging out primary forest, Ondrej?
17.05.2023 | Ondrej Kameniar | PhD from forest ecology, activist in the initiative My sme les (We are the forest) in Slovakia
- Why is youth important for UNESCO Man and the Biosphere programme (MAB)?
10.05.2023 | Kovbasniuk Anna | LLM, MAB Youth Network Coordinator for Europe and North America
- 99 ways to learn about sustainable education?
03.05.2023 | The UNESCO Chair team celebrates the 100. Brownbag Session with retrospects, insights and outlooks on an extraordinary format.
- Why can the Global biodiversity framework (GBF) be a game-changer for global conservation, Barbara?
26.04.23 | Barbara Engels | Federal agency for nature conservation in Germany; German Focal Point for CBD SBSTTA
- How to protect conservation areas in war times, Karen?
19.04.23 | Hulme, Karen | Professor at the School of Law, University of Essex
- How and why are military legacies compromising sustainable development, Verena?
12.04.23 | Verena Winiwarter | Retired professor for environmental history at University for Natural Resources
- What happens to the limits of growth in exponential times, Markus?
05.04.23 | Markus Petzl |Founder of the strategy consultancy disruptive – beyond your strategy; the European expert in "disruptive strategy" and "corporate disruption”
- How can we save birds from collisions with glass, Dominique?
29.03.23 | Dominique Waddoup | Founder and CEO of BirdShades
- Are protected areas suitable as extracurricular learning sites?
22.03.23 | Thomas Böhm | Managing director of the association Nature parks Burgenland and Vice-president of the association Austrian Nature parks
- What have been the key factors of success for the establishment of the 5-country Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube, Arno?
15.03.23 | Arno Mohl | Program coordinator at WWF Austria
- What made 1970 a Threshold Year for Global Environmentalism, Frank?
08.03.23 | Frank Uekotter | Professor of History at the University of Birmingham; Author
- Does youth even care about wetlands, Hugo?
01.03.23 | Hugo Ferreira | Biologist; European Regional Representative of Youth Engaged in Wetlands
- What are the advantages and challenges of biodiversity monitoring using environmental DNA, Vid?
22.02.23 | Vid Svara | Biologist and Senior researcher at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- Can the Global Biodiversity Framework actually solve the biodiversity crisis, Csilla?
15.02.23 | Csilla Tragner | Founding members and chapter coordinators for the Austrian Youth Biodiversity Network; youth delegates at the CBD COP 15 (the UN Biodiversity Conference)
- Is Finland on the right way in implementing international standards in eDNA and other molecular monitoring methods, Tiina?
08.02.23 | Laamanen Tiina | Researcher at Finnish Environment Institute; Expert in eDNA & environmental monitoring
- Why are diversity and inclusion important in Global Science, Ismael?
01.02.23 | Rafols Garcia, I. (Ismael) | Senior Researcher at the Centre for Science and Technology Studies at Leiden University, Chair on Diversity and Inclusion in Global Science
- How can we organize a Biodiversity Monitoring program in an Alpine region, Elia?
25.01.23 | Guariento Elia | Entomologist in the biodiversity monitoring project at Eurac Research
- How can we make the Wadden Sea a model for sustainable development, Ingo?
18.01.23 | Ingo Mose | Professor and head of applied geography and environmental planning at Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg
- How can access to justice develop environmental law, Paul?
11.01.23 | Paul Kuncio | Environmental Lawyer at Umweltdachverband and Managing Director of CIPRA Austria
- How computer vision and deep learning can transform aquatic monitoring, Mikko?
21.12.22 | Impiö Mikko | Researcher at Finnish Environment Institute, expert on automating and upscaling aquatic monitoring
- How can ecological and socio-cultural values be integrated into conservation planning in a biodiversity hotspot, Katharina
14.12.22 | Katharina D'Avis | Ecologist, graduated at Lisboa University, expert on integrated conservation planning
- How do Facebook, Insta and Co. influence conservation efforts in protected areas, Carolin?
07.12.22 | Carolin Scheiter | Head of Communication Department in Berchtesgaden National Park (Gemany)
- How has the image of the Alps changed over the decades, Dominik?
30.11.22 | Dominik Siegrist | Geographer, former professor for landscape architecture at the Eastern Switzerland University of Applied Sciences, Rapperswil
- How did the GDR adopt a nature conservation programme in the very last minute, Michael?
23.11.22 | Michael Succow | Right Livelihood Award Laureate and Founder of the Michael Succow Foundation
- Protected areas in Central Africa : too large and costly to manage, Paul?
16.11.22 | Scholte, Paul | GIZ Senior Advisor Ethiopian Wildlife Conservation Authority
- Can we promote natural heritage at the archeological park, Irena?
09.11.22 | Irena Lazar | Head of the UNESCO Chair of interpretation and education for enhancing integrated heritage approaches and Dean at the Faculty of Humanities University of Primorska
- How does the war in Ukraine affect nature and protected areas, Bohdan? And what would be urgent measures?
02.11.22 | Bohdan Prots | CEO of the Danube-Carpathian Programme
- What can we learn from sampling initiatives like the Joint Danube Survey, Astrid?
19.10.22 | Paulitsch Fuchs Astrid | lecturer, PI and project coordinator of EnHeGi (Environmental Health and Geoinformation) at the Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- Are the rights of nature the missing piece to address environmental crises, Alex?
12.10.22 | Alexander Putzer | UN Harmony with Nature Expert and PhD Student at Sant’Anna School of Advanced Studies, MIT, and UPenn
- How does the Karawanken UNESCO Global Geopark valorize it’s water resources, Lilia?
05.10.22 | Lilia Schmalzl | Geographer and Junior Researcher at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- What solutions do protected and conserved areas provide to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, Marie?
28.09.22 | FISCHBORN Marie | Partnership Coordinator of the PANORAMA – Solutions for a Healthy Planet initiative at IUCN
- How´s it going, Chair? What is the status after two years of UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Management of Conservation Areas at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences?
20.07.22 | Michael Jungmeier | Ecologist and Human Geographer at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences; UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Management of Conservation Areas
- How can we give visitors an entertaining insight into complex themes and relations such as nature, biodiversity, history, and science, Brigitta?
13.07.22 | Schmid Brigitta | Expert in Protected Area Management, Biologist, Paleontologista at Natural History Museum Vienna
- Do boundaries of Protected Areas contribute to their social effectiveness, Nikoleta?
06.07.22 | Jones, Nikoleta | Associate Professor at the Institute for Global Sustainable Development, University of Warwick
- How can common mountain pastures in the Black Forest be sustained, Florian?
29.06.22 | Brossette, Florian | Project manager at UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Black Forest; PhD candidate at the University of Hohenheim
- How can portable labs function in a muddy jungle and ensure wildlife conservation, Ana?
22.06.22 | Ana Rodriguez Prieto | Biologist; CEO and co-founder of WonderGene
- How can biosphere reserves promote creative approaches that foster socio-ecological transitions, Nils?
15.06.22 | Nils Unthan | PhD candidate, university assistand and member of the working group development studies and sustainability research at University of Innsbruck
- How can we use Intergenerational nexus to create dialogue between generations in biosphere reserves, Aida?
08.06.22 | Aida Mammadova | Associate Professor at Kanazawa University
- UNESCO Biosphere Reserves in the VUCA* world .... - do they need a wakeup call, Pierre?
01.06.22 | Ibisch, Pierre | Professor for Nature Conservation at Eberswalde University for Sustainable Development
- What opportunities does radio technology offer for protected areas, Hannes?
25.05.22 | Gütler Hannes | Project manager at KELAG Energie & Wärme GmbH
- Who may advocate nature protection in Europe, Jan?
18.05.22 | Jan Darpö | Emeritus Professor of Environmental Law at Faculty of Law/University of Uppsala, Sweden
- Are Social Media getting the key marketing tool for heritage destinations, Engelbert?
11.05.22 | Engelbert Ruoss | Lecturer at the University della Svizzera italiana & Research Advisor at the USI Unesco Chair
- Is (wetland) conservation important for the Management of Conservation Areas?
04.05.22 | Tobias Salathe | Senior Advisor at the Secretariat of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands
- How can Protected Area managers develop effective monitoring programmes, Daniel?
27.04.22 | Daniel Dalton | Entomologist and Senior researcher at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- What is the reality of a Green Corridor in a city, Nikos?
20.04.22 | Nikos Pangas | Technical director of the Mt. Hymettus Aesthetic Fores, Athens; Project Manager of the LIFE PRE "Urban Greening Plan"
- What is the benefit of point-clouds from terrestrial laser-scanning for the assessment of forest ecosystems?
13.04.22 | Günther Bronner | CEO at Umweltdata.at
- What about the principles of a sustainable brown bag, Ignace?
06.04.22 | Ignace Schops | Director of the Belgian NGO Regionaal Landschap Kempen en Maasland
- The trouble with human development: why should conservationists think about their lunch Andrew?
30.03.22 | Andrew McGregor | Human Geographer and Director of Research in the school of social sciences at Macquarie University
- How can our health benefit from healthy forests, Barbara?
23.03.22 | Barbara Wiegele | Expert in Protected Area Management, Founder and head guide at TrailAdventure.at
- How can tourism contribute to nature conservation, Günter?
16.03.22 | Günter Mussnig | Geographer, CEO of Trail Angels GmbH
- How can the Common Agricultural Policy influence Biodiversity in Austria, Nina?
09.03.22 | Nina Weber | Independent consultant and environmental engineer with focus on regional development, agricultural policies and the environment
- How can UNESCO Global Geoparks contribute to the SDG2030, Oliver?
02.03.22 | Oliver Gulas | CEO at UNESCO Global Geopark Styrian Eisenwurzen, Head of the Austrian Geopark Fora
- How can we use nature-based solutions to build a better future, Olesya?
23.02.22 | Olesya Petrovych | Conservation manager at WWF Ukraine
- Can you inspire people for nature conservation with the power of optimism, Julia?
16.02.22 | Julia Migné | Director of Conservation Optimism (a programme of the University of Oxford)
- How can “Drones” contribute to environmental monitoring of the 4 Elements “Earth, Fire, Water and Air”, Gernot?
09.02.22 | Gernot Paulus | Professor for Geoinformation at the Department for Geoinformation and Environmental Technologies at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- How does heritage interpretation attract visitors to museums, zoos and nature parks, Nataliia?
02.02.22 | Nataliya Hudkova | Associated Professor of the State Ecological Academy of Postgraduate Education and Management
- Is long-term monitoring always becoming a data-management disaster, Alexander?
26.01.22 | Alexander Maringer | Head of the Department of Nature Conservation & Research at Gesäuse National Park
- How can we achieve effective biodiversity conservation that is also just and inclusive, Robert?
19.01.22 | Robert Fletcher | Associate Professor in the Sociology of Development and Change group at Wageningen University, Netherlands
- 12.01.22 | Michael Jungmeier | Ecologist and Human Geographer at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences; UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Management of Conservation Areas
- Why is monitoring of cold environments so useful to learn about effects of climate warming?
22.12.21 | Andrea Lamprecht | Vegetation ecologist and Senior Scientist at University of Natural Resources Vienna
- How does Parks Canada protects visitors to Auyuittuq National Park on Baffin Island, Peter?
15.12.21 | Peter Scholz | Former Senior Planner with Nunavut Planning Commission and Parks Canada
- How to develop feasible scenarios for reconnecting alluvial forests in river restoration, Susanne?
01.12.21 | Susanne Glatz-Jorde | Head of the planning team; landscape planner at E.C.O. Institute for Ecology
- What can be investigated with DNA-methods in protected areas, Corinna?
24.11.21 | Corinna Wallinger | Ecologist, Co-founder of SINSOMA, Scientist at University of Innsbruck
- How can we use digital twins in forest monitoring, Vanessa?
17.11.21 | Vanessa Berger | Ecologist and Junior Researcher at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- How can biodiversity be surveyed in quarries in a standardized way, Tobias?
10.11.21 | Tobias Köstl | Vegetation ecologist; Head of the nature team at E.C.O. Institute for Ecology
- How can we value forest ecosystem services, Michael?
03.11.21 | Michael Getzner | Professor for public finance and infrastructure economics at Technical University of Vienna
- 27.10.21 | Thea Wiesli | Senior researcher and lecturer at the Centre for Development and Environment, University of Bern
- 20.10.21 | Zuwena Kikoti | Environmental & Protected Area Expert at Ministry of Natural Resource & Tourism
- How do you become an expert in EU funding (for environmental projects), Joanna?
13.10.21 | Joanna Tabone | Environmental protection officer at ERA (Enviroment and Resouces Authority) Malta
- What´s up in Sagarmatha, Sunita?
29.09.21 | Sunita Chaudhary | Ecologist, Ecosystem Services Specialist at ICIMOD
- How to deal with free-riders in wildlife protection zones, Marcel?
22.09.21 | Marcel Hunziker | Head of the social sciences in landscape research group at Swiss Federal Research Institute for Fores, Snow and Landscape (WSL)
- What main challenges do World Heritage Sites share in a global perspective?
14.07.21 | Stephan Doempke | Founding chairman and executive director of the World Heritage Watch
- Why does salt flower matter to conservation, Andrej?
07.07.21 | Andrej Sovinc | Civil Engineer, hydrologist and ornithologist; Former Regional Vice Chair Europe, IUCN WCPA
- How do local residents profit from the Entlebuch Biosphere Reserve, Florian?
30.06.21 | Florian Knaus | Scientific coordinator at the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Entlebuch
- How to recognize a homo urbanus, Elisabeth?
23.06.21 | Elisabeth Oberzaucher | Biologist and evolutionary psychologist at University of Vienna
- How can social media data be used in protected areas, Marius?
16.06.21 | Marius Mayer | Geographer, Professor at Munchen University of Applied Sciences
- What are the successful changes in management planning for Brazilian Protected Area's System, Erica?
09.06.21 | Erica De Oliveira Coutinho | Expert in Protected area management
- How can we further improve the training of future Biosphere Reserve staff, Michael?
02.06.21 | Michael Adams | Ecologist, Educator and Researcher
- What are the successful changes in management planning for Brazilian Protected Area's System, Erica
26.05.21 | Daniel Dalton | Entomologist and Senior researcher at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- What can we learn from the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Swabian Alb?
19.05.21 | Volker Häring | Geographer at Ruhr University Bochumg
- How would a Cradle to Cradle model region look like in Carinthia, Michael?
12.05.21 | Michael Braungart | Professor for Cradle to Cradle & Eco-Effectiveness at Leuphana University Lüneburg, CEO of BRAUNGART EPEA
- How can communication facilitate sustainable action, Eike?
05.05.21 | Eike von Lindern | PhD in social- and environmental psychology; Researcher at DIALOG N
- Susanne, which interventions would biosphere reserves really need to become incubation rooms for sustainable development?
28.04.21 | Susanne Stoll-Kleemann | Chair of Sustainability Science and applied Geography at University of Greifswald
- How do you teach nature conservation online, Neil?
21.04.21 | Neil McIntosh | Project leader of the lIEF e-nature2000 edu project at EUROPARC Federation
- How do permaculture and nature conservation get along, Mario?
14.04.21 | Mario Molina-Kescher | Permaculturist and climate researcher
- How does climate change affect mountainious regions in the alps, Klaus?
07.04.21 | Klaus Steinbauer | Biologist and Senior researcher at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences & E.C.O. Institute for ecology
- What can visitors learn about nature conservation at the Sablatnig swamp, Matthias?
31.03.21 | Matthias Burtscher | Expert in Protected area management, Chairman of the Sablatnig swamp
- What’s done to conserve nature in the Wienerwald, Christian?
24.03.21 | Christian Diry | Expert in Protected area management, Project manager at UNESCO Biosphere Reserve Wienerwald
- What’s up in the Julian Alps UNESCO Biosphere Reserve?
17.03.21 | Stefano Santi | Agricultural scientist, Director of the Julian Prealps Regional Nature Park
- How do you assess forest ecosystem services?
10.03.21 | Vanessa Berger | Ecologist at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
- What’s important to sustainably develop mountain regions, Theresa?
03.03.21 | Theresa Tribaldos | UNESCO Chair on Natural and Cultural Heritage for Sustainable Mountain Development; expert in Critical Sustainability Studies
- Why should we eat wood, Artur?
24.02.21 | Artur Cisar-Erlach | Woodland ecologist, food communications expert, cabinetmaker and author
- How does the Latin American and Caribbean roadmap for sustainable management of protected areas look like, Augusta?
17.02.21 | Maria Augusta Almeida Ferri | Geographer and protected area manager
- How can we keep nature connected when planning transport infrastructure, Cristian?
10.02.21 | Cristian Remus Papp | Biologist, Wildlife and Landscape National Manager at WWF Romania
- How to fight the devil’s tree, Jean-Marc?
03.02.21 | Jean Marc Dufour-Dror Consultant in applied ecology, expert in alien invasive plants in Israel
- What is so exciting about a BRIM, Mike?
27.01.21 Michael Huber | Globetrotter and landscape planner, E.C.O. institute for ecology
- What are the biggest threats for biodiversity loss in West Bank, Iman?
20.01.21 | Iman Al-Hirsh | Forest and environmental scientist
- What do students need to know about Science_Link, Alex and Selina?
13.01.21 | Alexander Thamer and Selina Strasser | Student assistants at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences and Alpen-Adria-University Klagenfurt
- What is the taste of a harvestman, Chri?
16.12.20 | Christian Komposch | Zoologist at ÖKOTEAM Graz - Institute for Animal Ecology and Landscape Planning
- How to play a Game of Clones, Anneliese?
09.12.20 | Anneliese Fuchs | Landscape planer at E.C.O. institute for ecology
- What is a landscape-lab, Lilia and Thomas
02.12.20 | Lilia Schmalzl and Thomas Schauppenlehner | Geographer and Junior Researcher at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences; Lancscape planer at University of Natural Ressources Viennna
- Book launch: Biosphäre 4.0
25.11.20 | Axel Borsdorf and Michael Jungmeier | Geographer at University of Innsbruck; Ecologist and Human Geographer at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences
Conservationists shall never eat alone. The UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Management of Conservation Areas at the Carinthia University of Applied Sciences invites partners and friends to lunch. We meet virtually every Wednesday at lunchtime (12.15 CET) with our brown bags. Different representatives of grassroot initiatives, international organizations, and the scholarly world as well give a short impulse on nature conservation in the 21st century and contribute to our lunchtime discussion. The statements are recorded and made available for download far beyond lunchtime. If you would like to take part virtually in a brownbag session, please contact Lilia Schmalzl via e-mail l.schmalzl[at]fh-kaernten[dot]at
“How's working in the field in South Africa, Federico?”
Presentation by Federico Massetti
"Can snow avalanches be really a cause for soil erosion, Michele?"
Presentation by Michele Freppaz
“How is the status and future of the World´s Large Rivers, Helmut?”
Presentation by Helmut Habersack
“Mind the gap - getting to 30 x 30 but failing to conserve biodiversity, Marc?”
Presentation by Marc Hockings
"Close to Nature Forestry: Environmentalist utopia or a future-proofing tool, Thomas?"
Presentation by Thomas Waitz
“How do we achieve sustainable development whilst valuing the ecosystem services provided by our environment, Daniel”
Presentation by Daniel Dalton
“How does the new come into the world, Michael?”
Presentation by Shamiyeh, Michael
"Is natural disturbance a reason for logging out primary forest, Ondrej?"
Presentation by Ondrej Kameniar
“Why is youth important for UNESCO Man and the Biosphere programme (MAB)? ”
Presentation by Kovbasniuk Anna
“99 ways to learn about sustainable education?”
The UNESCO Chair team celebrates the 100. Brownbag Session with retrospects, insights and outlooks on an extraordinary format.
“Why can the Global biodiversity framework (GBF) be a game-changer for global conservation, Barbara?”
Presentation by Barbara Engels
“How to protect conservation areas in war times, Karen?”
Presentation by Karen Hulme
"How and why are military legacies compromising sustainable development, Verena?"
Presentation by Verena Winiwarter
“What happens to the limits of growth in exponential times, Markus?”
Presentation by Markus Petzl
“How can we save birds from collisions with glass, Dominique?”
Presentation by Dominique Waddoup
"Are protected areas suitable as extracurricular learning sites?"
Presentation by Thomas Böhm
“What have been the key factors of success for the establishment of the 5-country Biosphere Reserve Mura-Drava-Danube, Arno?”
Presentation by Arno Mohl
“What made 1970 a Threshold Year for Global Environmentalism, Frank?”
Presentation by Frank Uekotter
"Does youth even care about wetlands, Hugo?"
Presentation by Hugo Ferreira
“What are the advantages and challenges of biodiversity monitoring using environmental DNA, Vid?”
Presentation by Vid Svara
“Can the Global Biodiversity Framework actually solve the biodiversity crisis, Csilla?”
Presentation by Csilla Tragner
"Is Finland on the right way in implementing international standards in eDNA and other molecular monitoring methods, Tiina?"
Presentation by Laamanen Tiina
“Why are diversity and inclusion important in Global Science, Ismael?”
Presentation by Rafols Garcia, I. (Ismael)
“How can we organize a Biodiversity Monitoring program in an Alpine region, Elia?”
Presentation by Guariento Elia
"How can we make the Wadden Sea a model for sustainable development, Ingo?"
Presentation by Ingo Mose
“How can access to justice develop environmental law, Paul?”
Presentation by Paul Kuncio
"How does the war in Ukraine affect nature and protected areas, Bohdan? And what would be urgent measures?"
Presentation by Bohdan Prots
“How´s it going, Chair? What is the status after two years of UNESCO Chair on Sustainable Management of Conservation Areas at Carinthia University of Applied Sciences?”