Die aktuell laufenden Jahrgänge schließen mit einem Master ab. Inhaltlich erfolgt eine Weiterentwicklung zu einem Hochschullehrgang mit Bachelorabschluss.
The university course teaches dental technicians and dentists the basics of the different manufacturing processes and gives an overview of manufacturing accuracies and tolerances. The students deal with the available materials, their stability values and biocompatibility, as well as surface finishing procedures including colouring.
The acquisition of social skills, such as the ability to cooperate and leadership qualities, as well as communication skills are taught in order to be able to communicate with patients and customers at a high level in everyday life and to ensure goal-oriented action in the clinical process.
The Master's course is offered in cooperation with Zirkonzahn (specialists in the field of dental technology).
For questions about the study contact:
Master of Science (MSc)
New start date
September 14, 2023
July 03, 2023
Duration of study
Form of organizationPart-time, combination of
attendance at the Campus
Villach and at Zirkonzahn
in Gais South Tyrol
as well as online events
Language of instruction
The aim of the university course Digital Dental Technology is,
- to acquire theoretical and practical basics in order to be able to map future dental processes.
- that graduates are able to independently implement the processing chain from data acquisition to data processing to final production.
- that personal competencies are acquired through learning self-management, self-motivation and self-organization.
That graduates acquire a broad expertise in digital methods, communication & presentation techniques, sound basic medical and dental knowledge and practical expertise. The later field of activity can be e.g. in the field of research & development, or include a higher management function. The highly complex patient cases, such as those encountered in implant prosthetics, can be planned, executed and thereby solved through highly technological, dental technical activities.
Digital Dental Technology students have the basic knowledge of scientific writing and work; define continuous and research quality assurance; reflect the principles of research ethics and the procedures for appropriate evaluation of research projects.
Students have the opportunity to put their theoretical knowledge of image acquisition modalities into practice in the dental/dental environment. In guided units, the digitization of exemplary objects is carried out using different procedures. The acquired models are assessed with regard to their quality, potential sources of error and their avoidance are discussed, and the known algorithms for model optimization are evaluated.
Students have basic knowledge and understanding of the structure and function of the human body and its organs, especially the head and neck region, at the macroscopic and microscopic level, transfer knowledge to understand pathological processes and disease patterns, surgical and other therapeutic procedures and methods, and the interaction of temporomandibular joints, occlusion, musculature and retaining apparatus.
Students will be able to identify and differentiate between common file formats and independently open, edit, and export them in a CAD/CAM application.They will be able to create and evaluate 3-D models of templates or sketches through the use of common methods and workflows. Master basic material workflows for realistic rendering of virtual objects.Be able to create 3-D models of real-world objects using 3-D software and redesign them for accurate functional use.
Students will be able to determine the appropriate material and process for dental/dental engineering tasks and prepare models for production. They are able to implement 3-D dental models using additive and subtractive manufacturing processes. Know about the state of the art, application possibilities and limitations of smart products and be able to assess feasibility and economic viability. Knowledge and experience of the properties and areas of application of dental/dental materials, knowledge of dwell times, mechanical, chemical and biological properties, toxicology and materials science investigation procedures and standardization can be designated and derived.
Students learn the basics of general business administration (e.g. the fundamentals of civil law and commercial law as well as accounting, change management, human resource management, investment, innovation management, etc.) and can list, describe and summarize them.
The Master's course in Digital Dental Technology comprises 5 semesters and is organized on a part-time basis:
Appointments take place online from 5 p.m. to a quarter past 8 p.m. and in presence all day in Villach and Gais.
Weekend or evening blocks enable the combination of study and work. The exact dates will be announced soon.
Application deadline: July 03, 2023
- Online info event on June 02, 2023 4 p.m. via Teams.
- Registration at email@example.com is requested.
Here you can find the dates for the 1st semester WS 2023/24:
- Week 37 Thursday, 14.09.2023 (Thursday start 10:00) - Sunday, 17.09.2023 (Sunday, end 4 p.m.) Presence at Campus Villach
- Week 39 Monday, 25.09.2023 - Friday, 29.09.2023 daily, 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
- Week 41 Monday, 09.10.2023 - Friday, 13.10.2023 daily, 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
- Week 42 Monday, 10/16/2023 - Friday, 10/20/2023 daily, 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
- Week 45 Monday,11/06/2023 - Thursday, 11/09/2023 daily 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
- Week 46 Monday,13.11.2023 - Saturday, 18.11.2023, daily half past 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Presence in South Tyrol
- Week 48 Monday, 27.11.2023 - Friday, 01.12.2023, daily 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
- Week 50 Monday, 11.12.2023 - Thursday, 14.12.2023, daily 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
- Week 2 Friday, 12.01.2024 - Saturday, 13.01.2024, daily 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Presence at Campus Villach
- Week 3 Wednesday,17.01.2023 - Friday, 19.01.2023, daily 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
- Week 4 Thursday, 25.01.2024 - Friday, 26.01.2024, daily 5 p.m. to quarter past 8 p.m. Online
"The Digital Dental Technology program, with its comprehensive mix of content, is a great opportunity - for each individual student who continues their education, but also for the dental technician profession as a whole. With dental technicians who have received the best training at university level, there are completely new opportunities for teamwork and triangulation with doctors and patients."
Federal Guild Master Dental Technician Richard Koffu, MSc
(Austrian Federal Guild Master of Dental Technicians)
"I am very excited about the start of the new university course Digital Dental Technology at the Carinthian University of Applied Sciences. Through the constant exchange with the Austrian Federal Guild for Dental Technology and the company Zirkonzahn, we can offer an innovative program at the Carinthian University of Applied Sciences, which provides the participants with a broad knowledge of the latest dental technology at an academic level."
Scientific director of the course
"I am fascinated and guided by the idea of providing dental technicians with further education in a wide variety of fields. This way he can face new challenges and we can raise our profession to a higher level."
CEO of the company Zirkonzahn (cooperation partner)