24. Juni 2021 ab 16 Uhr
Informationen zu allen Master-Studien und Lehrgängen
The continuing trend towards the digitalization of work processes and the immense amount of data to be processed are subjects of current business practice. Companies have collected large amounts of data in recent years and are now faced with the challenge of exploiting these data collections and generating added value for their business areas. They are looking for qualified data scientists who can generate relevant information from large amounts of data and derive recommendations from the processed data.
Becoming a data scientist
A data scientist is expected to be familiar with the entire data value chain. Therefore, graduates of the Master of Science degree program have a practical as well as theoretical understanding in all of the following areas:
- Data acquisition
- Data transmission
- Data storage
- Data evaluation
- Data visualization
- Legal and ethical frameworks
Moreover, graduates can use their acquired professional and methodological competence to pursue a further scientific specialization in the form of a PhD at a technical university.
* subject to accreditation by AQ Austria
For Winterterm 2021 the following Application Deadlines are opened:
For applicants from outside Europe:
Due to visa and legalization processing we accept applications only from period I & II
October 2021 (subject to approval by the responsible bodies)
Wednesday & Thursday 16:50 h
Friday 13:30 h
2 Saturdays per month & 5 days during the week per semester
Bachelor Degree with a Minimum of:
- Computes Science Basics and Programming (10 ECTS)
- Mathematics / Statistics / Algorithmics (10 ECTS)
- Data Management / Databases / Data Structures (5 ECTS)
If you have any questions feel free to contact:
€ 363.36 / semester
- Master of Science in Engineering
€ 20.70 / semester
General Study Information
The newly developed master’s degree program trains future data scientist for a variety of promising career paths in different business areas. There is a great need for experts that are familiar with the entire data value chain, from the acquisition of data, to the extraction of information, and finally the generation and representation of knowledge.
The technical-methodological skills acquired during the program allow the students to identify problems in the acquisition of (sensor) data as well as the transmission of these data and enable them to make a fundamental assessment with regard to the quality of the acquired data. A main focus is on the techniques of storing large, heterogeneous data in order to enable a subsequent valid and timely evaluation using models of machine learning and artificial intelligence. Modern methods of visualization are part of the curriculum to communicate the results and derive recommendations for action.
Graduates of the master’s degree program "Applied Data Science" can use their acquired professional and methodological competence to pursue a further scientific specialization in the form of a PhD at a technical university.
Data science is an incredibly fascinating field of applied sciences. The prerequisite for attending the master's degree program is a completed technical bachelor's or diploma degree from the FH Kärnten or an equivalent program at a recognized domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution.
What students should bring to their studies:
- 10 ECTS in Computer Science Basics and Programming
- 10 ECTS in Mathematics, Statistics, and Algorithmics
- 5 ECTS in Data Management, Databases, and Data Structures (FH Kärnten offers a bridge course during summer)A fundamental interest in topics of artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- A personality who enjoys discovering innovative and creative solutions.
- Solid mathematical knowledge and basic programming skills.
- Basic knowledge of databases and data management.
- Good language and communication skills.
Graduates of the master’s degree program “Applied Data Science” are able to:
- work on concrete tasks in a problem-solving manner,
- recognize the interrelationships of data analysis on large amounts of data on the technology, system, and application level,
- •apply mathematical, statistical and computer science knowledge,
- estimate the limits of the state-of-the art procedures, methods and models,
- design, develop and implement systems for the analysis of large amounts of data
- professionally carrying out projects with respect to development, implementation and application,
- reflect, analyze and further develop the basic knowledge acquired during the program,
- apply the basics and methods of scientific work.
Solltest du schon mitten im Studium stehen, möchten wir dir das Studentenleben am Campus von seinen schönsten Seiten zeigen. Projekte, FH-Veranstaltungen, Erasmus- und ÖH-Berichte findest du ebenfalls hier.
Für AbsolventInnen haben wir die neuesten Jobplattformen, Karrieremessen und Reportagen rund um das Thema Alumni im Angebot.
Graduates of the Master of Science degree program “Applied Data Science” are highly educated specialists with exciting career opportunities in different fields of work. The leading employers for data scientists are typically from the following areas:
- Public and private research institutions
- Large retailers
- E-commerce companies
- Internet service providers
- Public and private transport companies
- Marketing departments/agencies
The successful completion of the master program Applied Data Science in turn qualifies the graduate to undertake a doctorate according to FHStG [Fachhochschul Studies Act] § 6 (4).