English: Professional English 2 (ILV)Back
|Specialization Area||Intercultural Management|
|Semester of degree program||Semester 2|
|Mode of delivery||Presencecourse|
|Language of instruction||English|
Upon successful completion of the course, students:
- Can compare and contrast cultural data, using appropriate language.
- Can practice empathic listening and have developed trust-building strategies in spoken and written business communication to promote effective cross-cultural virtual communication, including giving constructive feedback, sharing opinion and dealing with misunderstandings.
- Can ask for, share and express opinion.
- Have developed reading strategies to understand and identify key ideas and specific information of numerous genres related to their field of study.
- Have practiced extensive reading of complex texts related to their field of study to build vocabulary and reading speed and fluency together with a greater motivation to read.
The course will cover the following topics/content:
- The future workplace: analyzing, predicting, comparing and contrasting current and future global work trends
- Contrast and comparison: cultural comparison
- Intercultural project: active listening; giving & receiving constructive feedback across cultures
- Developing academic reading skills
- Workshop: business communication
Bailey, S. (2010). Academic Writing for International Students of Business. London: Routledge
Emmerson, P. (2009) Business Vocabulary Builder, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Macmillan.
Emmerson, P. (2010) Business Grammar Builder - Intermediate to Upper-Intermediate, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Macmillan.
A collection of articles and videos will be compiled for the course, drawing on recent articles from the following media:
Business Spotlight Magazine. URL: https://www.business-spotlight.de/
Harvard Business Review. URL: https://hbr.org/
TED Talks. URL: https://www.ted.com
Moderated group work, lecture, discussion, self-study
Cumulative module examination
The module grade is calculated weighted by the ECTS credits of the individual courses of the module and results as follows:
ILV "English: Professional English 2" - 2 ECTS
Assessment type: Compulsory assessment
Assessment method/s: Class participation, continual assessment, homework; written examination, team presentation
25% Virtual cross border student collaboration
15% Business Communication Workshop & Team Presentation
25% Reading assignments
25% Reading examination
10% Class participation