Culture and Diversity (ILV)Back
FH-Prof.in Dr.inEithne Knappitsch
|Specialization Area||Intercultural Management|
|Semester of degree program||Semester 5|
|Mode of delivery||Presencecourse|
|Language of instruction||English|
On successful completion of the course, students:
- demonstrate theoretical understanding of diversity management
- understand the importance of managing different dimensions of diversity (age, disability gender, ethnicity, religion etc.) at work
- understand and can evaluate the business, policy and social aspects of workplace diversity
- gain knowledge of models and examples of diversity management
- can apply their own practical and theoretical knowledge and understanding of diversity management to specific case studies and problem scenarios related to culture and diversity
- identify, develop and critically assess appropriate management interventions for specific case studies and problem scenarios related to diversity
- Theories and concepts: positioning culture and diversity
- Workplace diversity: drivers and motivators
- Workplace frameworks for diversity: Legal, business and social.
- Diversity Management as a component of organizational change
- Challenges and opportunities presented by diversity management
- Diversity management in practice
Aycan, Z., Kanungo, R. N. & Mendonça, M., (2014). Organizations and management in cross-cultural context. London. Sage Publications.
Browaeys, M.-J. & Price, R. (2011). Understanding cross-cultural management(2nd ed.). Harlow: Prentice Hall.
Gardenswartz, L. & Rowe, A. (2010): Managing diversity: A complete desk reference and planning guide(3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: Society For Human Resource Management.
Gatrell, C. & Swan, E. (2008). Gender and diversity management: A concise introduction. London: Sage.
House, R. J., Hanges, P. J., Javidan, M., Dorfman, P. & Gupta, V. (2004). Culture, Leadership, and Organizations: The GLOBE Study of 62 Societies. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Klarsfeld, A., Booysen, L. A. E., Ng, E., Roper, I. & Tatli, A. (2014). International handbook of diversity management at work: Country perspectives on diversity and equal treatment(2nd ed.). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
Konrad, A., Prasad P., & Pringle, J. (eds). (2006). Handbook of workplace diversity. London: Sage.
Steers, R.M., Schanzez-Runde, C.J. & Nardon, L. (2010). Management across cultures - challenges and strategies.New York: Cambridge University Press.
Thomas, D.C. & Peterson, M. F. (2014) Cross-cultural management: essential concepts. Thousand Oaks, California. Sage Publications
Varner, I. & Beamer, L. (2010). Intercultural Communication in the Global Workplace. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
A mixed method of instruction will be used for this course, including
lectures, discussion, case studies, role play, presentations and self-study and group work.
Written assignment 40%
Session preparation and participation 20%