International Consulting Lab (PA)Back
|Semester of degree program||Semester 3|
|Mode of delivery||Presence- and Telecourse|
|Language of instruction||English|
Professional skills and expertise
This module is designed as a business laboratory, which means that students learn competencies and skills related to managing projects and developing international market development strategies for companies in lecturer-coached team projects.
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
- design a project proposal and project plan for an international consulting project
- apply tools for structuring, managing, and controlling international consulting projects
- analyze key factors in an international market environment (e.g. market potential, customer needs, competitive situation, distribution structures)
- develop market entry or market development strategies for international markets
- create an action plan for implementing market entry or market development strategies (including a budget for the action plan)
In this module, students will acquire the following personal skills:
- improve analytical skills in the context of a strategic market analysis
- make effective presentations for client companies
- perform in a team situation under time pressure
- enhance intercultural teamwork skills
In this module, students will acquire the following skills related to the use of digital technologies:
- use project management software to plan and control a consulting project
- use online group collaboration tools to facilitate virtual teamwork
This module covers the following topics:
I. Management consultancy in an international business context
• Defining the consulting task
• Managing the client
• Gathering data and interpreting results
• Effective presentation of results
II. Managing international consulting projects
• The project management process
• Developing a well-functioning project team
• Creating a project plan
• Tools for structuring, scheduling, managing, and controlling projects
• Agile project management methods
• Organizing the project teamwork and managing the project team
III. Consulting on international market development strategies
• Strategic analysis of international markets (market potential, customer needs, competitive situation, distribution structures)
• Developing the right market entry / market development strategy
• Devising an action plan for implementing market entry or market development strategies
• Estimating a budget for realizing the action plan
Chereau, P. & Meschi, P.-X. (2018). Strategic Consulting: Tools and Methods for Successful Strategy Missions. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
Grünig, R. & Morschett, D. (2016). Developing International Strategies. 2nd ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer.
Pinto, J. K. (2019). Project Management: Achieving Competitive Advantage. 5th ed. Harlow: Pearson.
Rasiel, E. M. & Friga, P. N. (2002). The McKinsey Mind. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Wickham, L. & Wilcock, J. (2020). Business and Management Consulting: Delivering an Effective Project. 6th ed. Harlow: Pearson.
- Lecture and discussion (in-class or online)
- Project work in groups (consulting projects)
Integrated module exam (immanent examination character):
- Team project (60%)
- Individual contribution to the team project (peer review) (15%)
- Individual reflection paper (25%)